Yirrganydji elder, Billy Jagar (1870-1930), was given two King-plates to recognise his leadership. The first one was presented to him by the Queensland government in 1898 and proclaimed him 'King of Barron'. The second plate was presented by the Protector of Aborigines on Empire Day, 24 May 1906.
Jagar died in a fringe camp in Cairns in 1930 and the King-plates disappeared. During WWII the 1898 plate was acquired by US Staff-Sergeant Douglas Campbell while he was stationed in Fiji. Campbell took it home to North Dakota and hung on the wall in his living room.
Campbell’s daughters, Margaret and Laura were curious about the origins of the plate and on Reconciliation
Day, May 2005 they returned it to Cairns. The plate
was presented to Jagar’s great-grand daughter,
Jeanette Singleton. In 2007 a headstone for Jagar was placed at Martyn Street Cemetery.
From: ABC Hindsight website
When the Aboriginal leader Billy Jagar died in a fringe camp in Cairns in 1930, his King Plate also disappeared, presumed lost forever until, 60 years later, two American sisters became curious about the crescent shaped brass object that had hung in the family lounge room throughout their childhood.
The Long Journey of Billy Jagar's King Plate traces the threads of Billy Jagar's short life, a mere 65 years. It spanned a brutal and turbulent time for Aboriginal people in the Far North, from first contact and conflict, through dispossession and segregation in missions and town camps.
The program also charts the strange turn of events which led to the return of the King Plate, from one side of the world to the other. Today it is in the possession of Billy Jagar's descendants in Cairns.
Headstone unveiled for 19th century Aboriginal leader
From: ABC News website
The Long Journey of Billy Jagar's King Plate
From: ABC Radio website
Traditional Yirrganydji life
Here on the banks of the Barron are shell middens and other evidence of Aboriginal occupation. One of the first descriptions of traditional life was made by Sub-inspector Robert Johnstone in 1876;